Wednesday, February 5, 2014

mPOINTS

I have a slight addiction to Amazon gift cards and mPOINTS is helping to feed that addiction. Just today, I redeemed another $1.00 gift card. I found this program back in November I think. I wanted some games to play on my phone while I was on breaks at work. mPOINTS games give you points that you can use to get gift cards to places like Amazon, iTunes, Home Depot, CVS, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, JC Penney, Sephora and GameStop. You can also use your points to get things like Apple TV, T-shirts, an iPhone armband, a tote bag, Fitbit and Google Chromecast.

mPOINTS is different than a lot of other rewards programs since you can earn points from a bunch of different apps and the points accumulate into one big pot for your to use towards the rewards. Some of the apps are games, but others are practical things like Dictionary.com, the Weather Channel app and the New England Patriots app. Most of the apps offer points for checking in each day. You can earn additional points by doing things within the app. For example, the Dictionary.com app gives points for checking the word of the day. You can earn additional points by listening to the recording of how the word of the day is pronounced.

I've redeemed my points for $8.00 in Amazon gift cards. I have enough point for another $16.00, but I'm saving the points for a couple reasons. The $1.00 Amazon gift cards have the best return on your investment. You get $1.00 for 2,000 points, which actually accumulates fairly quickly. A $2.00 gift card is 5,000 points. See so you lose 1,000 points by going after the $2.00 gift card. You can only redeem one of each reward in a seven day period though, so I get one new gift card each week. After a year, I'll have $52.00 in gift cards and a bunch of extra points. Not bad for playing games! I'm also hoarding my points in hopes of a sale on gift cards. When I started the program, they would routinely have a gift card go on sale for half the points. I never had enough points to partake in those sales though! Now that I have a bunch of points, I haven't seen a sale.

There are two downsides to the app. One of them, I already talked about. The point depreciation is just obnoxious. Most programs give you better rewards the more points you get. I should be happy that I can get $1.00 Amazon gift cards at a discounted rate, but my brain just doesn't work that way.

The big downside for me might not be much of a downside to other people. While you're playing the games, you earn points, but the points don't add up automatically. You have to collect your points. In order to do this, you click collect on your screen. This brings you to the mPOINTS part of the app. From there, you have to click on the achievement that you earned in the game. Once you do that, your points get added to your total. After that, you'll usually get an advertisement or a short survey. You'll get bonus points for some of the advertisements, but not all of them. You'll earn points for all of the surveys. The surveys are usually a couple questions. You have to be careful though because they don't always have Yes as the first answer. I've clicked No in error. I've never been able to change my answer though. There are two different types of advertisements. They have stills and video. I think you always earn points if it's a video that you watch. They are usually between 15 and 45 seconds. Points range from 5 to 75 in my experience. Some of the still ads are for apps that you get points for downloading.

The apps that I use with mPOINTS:
  • Dictionary.com
  • Nexercise (also has KIP rewards)
  • New England Patriots
  • Tic Tac Toe Classic
  • Word Search
  • Hangman
  • Mind Resolve
  • Zap da Bug 
  • Swap da Gem 
  • Tap da Cookie 
  • Flip da Coin 
  • Da Daily Insult
  • Da Daily Compliment
I'll write more about some of the apps later. There are a bunch more apps though. You can see some of them by checking out the mPOINTS website


No comments:

Post a Comment