Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Biggest Loser Flaxjacks and Mini Fritatta Breakfast

Sunday is my day to cook breakfast. Today, we had a The Biggest Loser inspired meal which consisted of The Biggest Loser Flaxjacks, The Biggest Loser inspired Mini Fritattas and Jennie-O turkey bacon. I've been making the Mini Fritattas for a bit now. I wrote about my first batch a few weeks ago.

I did this batch a bit differently than that one. I mixed 4 cups of Eggbeaters with about a half cup of milk and then poured it into 24 muffin cups. I don't mix the other stuff in with the eggs first because this way, you know that you have enough eggs for all of the muffin cups. I cut up about 5 green onions and 5 red and 5 orange mini peppers. It's a lot faster to use the big bell peppers, but I only had the mini ones. I made the bacon last night to make this morning easier for me. I then spooned in the peppers and onions into each muffin tin. After that, I crumbled up a half slice of bacon into each muffin tin. Then, I took some pizza cheese and sprinkled a small amount into each muffin cup. After all the stuff was in there, I took a knife and stirred each cup. This is a time consuming process, but it works for me so that way I know I have enough of the different ingredients in each muffin cup. I bake them on 350 for about 25-30 minutes. They puffed up and looked like muffins, but then shrank back down. I'm not sure why they do that, but it's funny to look at. Here is a picture of what they looked like before they went into the oven. I just love how all the colors combine. 


After I put the mini fritattas in the oven, I started working on my flaxjacks. I soon found out that this was a mistake! It's important to note that you need to let the batter sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I don't know why, but that's what the recipe says. My fritattas got a little too browned because I left them in the oven to keep them warm while I worked on the flaxjacks. The receipt does say that you can leave it in the fridge overnight. I'll be doing that next time and it should make my life easier!

The flaxjacks were really easy to make. I forgot to take a picture of the batter before I made them. I'm still new to this blogging about recipes so it's just not natural for me to do a step and then snap a picture. I'll try to get better about that. The recipe called for medium heat. I'm not sure what is considered as medium heat on my griddle, but I picked 300, which was halfway between the lowest setting and the highest setting. Next time, I think I'll go with 350. So the recipe gives you no indication of how long they should cook on each side. It says something like until they puff and the edges are dry. I'm not chef, I don't know what the heck that means. You've got raw batter on the top side, the batter never looks dry! They don't bubble like regular pancakes. I just left them on there for a few minutes. Then I flipped and hoped for the best. They weren't a uniform golden brown though. That's why I think i'll go with 350 next time. For the second side, I tried to leave them on for about the same time as the first. 

The recipe says that it should make 16 flaxjacks. I got 15 out of it so I guess I made mine a little too big. I am happy though that they actually put how many servings you should get. Some of them are pretty vague, and some of them are just way off like the pudding recipe that should make 4 servings, but I got two and those seemed small. 

Once all the flaxjacks were done, I put some butter on one and peanut butter on the other. I like my pancakes with a bit of butter on them so I wanted to try one with the butter, but I also wanted to see what it would be like with the peanut butter since it's a healthier option than butter. They say to use a low calorie syrup, but I don't like syrup and I try to avoid eating fake sugar whenever possible. These are flavorful, but they have a bit of a crunch inside that's similar to the seeds in a strawberry. They were flavorful, and the texture was good, but if you're expecting them to be like a buttermilk pancake substitute, you'll be disappointed. I liked them a lot and so did my husband, but they are not fluffy buttermilk pancakes. 

Here is the picture of my whole breakfast. I just had water to go with it. We have chocolate milk in the house, but I fought the urge. A nice piece of fruit would have gone well with it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment