Saturday, March 15, 2014

Leslie Sansone - Fat Burning Walk Deluxe Edition 4 Mile part


This was my consolation gift from Netflix. They sent me this one because the last disk that they sent out had to come from a different Netflix distribution center and was going to take an extra 3-5 days to get to me. When that happens, apparently they send you another disk. I thought that was nice of them. This DVD came in yesterday's mail, and I had already done a workout. I don't normally do DVDs on the weekends, but I wanted to be able to send this back on Monday, so I made an exception. Turns out there are two workouts on this one. Three workouts if you count the floor work as it's own workout.

The DVD gives you the option to play the long workout or the short workout. If you pick the long workout, you then get the choice of playing it from the start or choosing the segments you want to do. I just had it play from the start. Be prepared to be shocked. This was filmed in the 80s or maybe early 90s. We've got big hair, tight spandex and bright colors. I didn't even recognize Leslie. Her hair is HUGE, and she sounds like she's 16. She kinda looks like she's 16 too. She's bubbly and giggly to the max in this video. The set is rather interesting. It's got a ton of white. The backdrop has some brightly colored squares. It's really not something I can describe. It was a total blast from the past. 

Okay, so the workout starts off with marching in place. She then takes you through the four basic steps. In the newer routines, you usually go marching in place, side steps, front kicks then knee lifts. She also usually starts with her left food which would be your right if you go in the same direction as her. With this one, she did marching in place, knee lifts, front kicks and then side steps. She also says to start with your right leg, but if you do your right leg and she does her right leg (which she does) hen you're going in the opposite direction which is highly annoying. That took some getting used to. She said right, left, right left a lot during the video and I had to just ignore her because I was on left while she was on right.

So the walkers in the video are instructors from the gym. You not only get to see a very young Leslie, but you also get to see Mary Kaye, Jo and Linda. Mary Kaye and Jo have HUGE hair just like Leslie. Although, Leslie's hair gets smaller the more she sweats and then messes with her hair. 

After about five minutes, the warm up is done and you go into the more intense part of the workout. You move faster and you're supposed to pick up your feet higher. There are also jogging intervals. There isn't much beyond the four basic moves though. There is some walking forward and backwards for two counts and the jogging, but that's about it until you get to the cool down. There are three jogging segments that mainly just have you jogging up and back for two counts. Mary Kaye does the modified low impact version and just walks while moving her arms around. 

At around the 30 minute mark, she tells you that you're done with your arms. At about the 35 minute mark, the music slows down and you start working on the cool down. During the cool down, she has you do some small double side steps and also some heel taps. Those are the only "new" moves for the workout. After the cool down is done, you do a stretch. The stretch is a little different than the more recent videos. This one includes some traditional 80s weight shift lunges. You stand with your legs pretty wide and hold one leg straight while you shift all your weight to the other side and bend that knee. Then you shift everything back to the other side. There are a few squats as well to stretch out the inner thigh. Once you're done with those, you go into the traditional Leslie Sansone calf stretch. She does encourage you to do more stretching if you need it.

Once the stretching is done with, you go onto the floor for some traditional 80s leg and ab moves. I did not do these since I had just done the squats and lunges yesterday, and my legs were a bit sore. I did watch it though. It lasted about 18 minutes if my DVD player's timer was correct. I watched it in fast forward so i didn't time it. The first part has your on your elbows and knees. You move your leg back and push your foot up to the ceiling in short little pulses. That moves into full leg lifts. Once you're done with those, you move to the other side and repeat the moves. After both legs are done, you lay on your side for some leg lifts You start with the pulses and then move to full movement. After that's done, you lay on your back for some crunches. First it's just a standard crunch with your feet planted on the floor. Then you rotate so your right shoulder goes towards your left knee. After that, you lay your head on the floor and crunch up with your legs. After that, you go into a stretch.

Wow this is turning out to be a rather long post about a workout that really didn't have a whole lot of content. One other thing that I wanted to note....Before the workout, she said to check your heart rate. Everyone in the room, put their fingers to their neck. She then said to count. After six seconds, she said to stop counting and then multiply the number by 10 to get your heart rate. This happened at least twice during the workout and then after the workout was over. It was rather humorous to me, but I'm not really sure why. It could have something to do with the fact that it was a very 80s thing to do and this was a very 80s DVD. It was so painfully stereotypical 80s. 

I looked up this walk on Amazon, and it lists it as having a 4 mile walk and a 2 mile walk. Maybe with all of this jogging, this would be considered a 4 mile, but I think it's closer to a 3 mile if we're keeping track of miles. Leslie didn't mention anything about miles during the walk. Her cueing in this one wasn't as good as in the more recent DVDs. While marching in place she would say something about pulling your abs in and then you'd be doing front kicks with little warning. Worse than that was that she would say 8 more, but then start talking. When she finally shut up, she would say 8 more. Once those 8 are done, she'd say another 8. It was like Billy Blanks doing Tae Bo. I hate that. Just tell me how many more, and I will do them, but don't tell me 8 more, and make me do like 30 more. 

Below is my BodyMedia screen shots for the walk portion only. I forgot to set up my Nexercise thing today. I'm going to try to get as many of these older ones as I can before my Netflix trial is done because my next trial is through Gaiam TV on the Roku, and they don't have the old workouts. They have the middle years, but not the beginning or the very recent stuff. I do like how this had a nice arc to the workout. If you look at the big blue blob, it shows a nice gentle warm up, an intense section and then a nice gentle cool down.


No comments:

Post a Comment