Friday, March 21, 2014

Leslie Sansone Walk-N-Tone 2 mile


Today, I didn't have anything from Netflix, so I did Walk-N-Tone with Leslie Sansone. I was looking for a 2 Mile walk and fell upon this oldie. It included the walk belt which I purchased, but hadn't used yet. This one could possibly be the original workout with the walk belt. This looked liked it was from the early 90s. We still had the bright colors from the 80s, but we didn't have the big hair and Leslie didn't look and sound like she was a teenager. 

The workout began with a brief introduction on how to assemble the walk belt. Once that's all done, you enter the workout room. Leslie is there with several walkers. Joann and Linda are also there, but no Mary Kaye. The walk belt from end to end is 47" which unfortunately, was barely big enough to fit around my belly. It was velcroed on the absolute last spot possible. It made the belt a bit uncomfortable. The workout starts with the handles being tucked into the belt, which was even less comfortable. 

This workout is before Leslie figured out that she should move first on her left leg so when I move on my right leg first we are both going the same direction. That messed with me since I'm so used to stepping out to the right. I hate getting off the beat with her so I tried really hard to get on track with the left leg. The music in this workout was a bit loud and it made it hard to hear her, which could have been a good thing because she never really annoyed me in this one. 

The workout starts off with the four basic moves which are walking in place, side steps, front kicks and knee lifts. After about a five minute warm up, the pace picks up and you add your arms into the mix. At first, your arms move without using the actual belt. After a few minutes of that, she has you use the belt. She also incorporates walking forward and backward for two counts and kick backs. I don't remember any other moves beyond the basics during the actual workout. The cool down had what she calls mini squats and tapping your heal in front of you. 

The arm movements in this workout were brutal with the belt! I didn't find the belt comfortable at all, and would probably prefer to use the stretchie band for a lot of these movements, but the belt really did work deep into my shoulders. There were a few times where I had to take a break for a moment or two because the arms were just too much. I kept my feet going though. The belt was a bit awkward for me. The stretchie part attaches to the center of the back so while you're lifting your arms up over your head, the bands are pushing on your outer arm area. It wasn't horrible, but it was awkward. I will try the belt again with workouts that utilize it, but I don't think that I would add the belt to a workout on my own. 

I'm curious to see how much pain I will be in tomorrow! I have such wimpy shoulders and this was a pretty intense session for them! There was some tricep work in this too. This was another awkward move for me. Overall, I enjoyed the workout, but I'm not sold on the belt yet. Oh I shouldn't forget to mention that there was essentially no stretching in this one. At the end, there's some deep breathing and some small squats, but no stretching for the calves. It was very odd to me, but I got over it. 

Below are my BodyMedia screen shots. I forgot to set up the Nexercise app once again. Since this workout had a bonus strength training aspect to it, I'm not too upset over only getting 5 minutes of vigorous activity. I had some serious problems keeping my arms moving fast enough which ended up slowing down my legs. This was my first workout where I couldn't keep up with the speed. It was another fairly active day at work. The spikes there at the end were me walking to the restaurant for dinner and walking back. The workout is the tall blob on the left. The stuff in between is me walking around at work. We hired a new person though who is supposed to take away all of my running around. I'm happy and sad at the same time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment