Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Jessica Smith Thin in 10 Day 2


What I did and why

Today was Day 2 of my Thin in 10 exercise plan. My shoulders, triceps and glutes were sore from yesterday. I was pretty annoyed with myself for this crazy 7 day challenge thing since I really just wanted to do a nice easy walk. I stuck with it and did Day 2 though. 

Day 2

Walk

I did the 10 Minute Interval Walk again. I decided to kick it up a notch and jog during the fast walking parts. I didn't jog during the first one though. I thought I should warm up a little bit. I did okay with the jogging. I was pretty out of breath, but I didn't want to die at any point. That's an improvement I would say over my first jogging experience.

Cardio Quickie

I used the DVD again instead of the book. This workout involved intervals just like the walk did, but these were 40 seconds of low intensity followed by 20 seconds of high intensity. There were five different moves that we did twice each for a total of 10 minutes. I don't remember all of the moves in this, but there was double side step type thing with a bit of a hop in middle. That was the low intensity part. The high intensity part involved something similar to a side lunge, but we did it very fast and we were supposed to touch the floor. I touched the floor, but didn't put as much oomph as her into the bouncing around stuff. 

Another move involved "swimming" while standing up. It was basically holding our arms straight out in front of us and doing big arm circles as if we were swimming. The high intensity part had us dong both arms at the same time and doing a small hop off the floor. I didn't hop! It was a bit too much for me.

There was another move that involved tapping one foot forward while punching with the opposite arm. I actually liked this move. The high intensity was doing scissor jacks while still doing the punching. I was not a fan of this part!

Overall, the Cardio Quickie felt more like it was geared towards people who were already in shape instead of people who were trying to lose weight. I like doing workouts that I feel like I can do without modifying everything. I should be happy to find something that is challenging for me so I can work my way up and master the workout, but I just feel like I'm not getting the calorie burn that I should and could get from doing something that I can actually handle.

Core Conditioning

I used the DVD again instead of the book. This one was another interval type thing, but each move was a minute just like the walk instead of the 40/20 split like the Cardio Quickie. This involved planks and side planks. I suck at planking and until today, I had never tried a side plank. The modified version of the side plank was actually easier than the plank. I put my feet against the wall to make the plank a little easier. I was able to stay up long enough to give myself rug burn on my elbows. I guess I should get a mat or something. 

This was another workout that made me feel like I was totally out of shape. This is not news to me. I know I'm out of shape, but I can do Leslie Sansone ab workouts and I like doing stuff that I don't have to modify! This also had bicycles and crunches. Oh we did do one thing that I liked. We were on our hands and knees and stretched out our opposite hand and foot. I liked that move because I could actually do it. There was a sit up move too which was impossible for me to do even with the modified version she suggested where you pull on your legs to get yourself up. Overall, I was pretty much miserable during the entire routine. The good news is that I don't have to do this one again! I committed to 7 days of the exercise plan and this workout is only in that 7 days once! 

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia screen shots for the workouts. The first one is the 10 Minute Interval Walk, the second is the Cardio Quickie and the third is the Core Conditioning. The amount of vigorous activity was about what I had expected. I think it was a decent burn overall for a 30 minute workout where the last 10 minutes was pretty much just laying on the floor. Ab stuff is hard for me, but it's just not a big calorie burn. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be even more sore tomorrow, which totally sucks since I'm supposed to do the Total Body Band. That just sounds painful! Did I mention that my triceps are killing me already? So looking forward to Total Body Band. Maybe I should have done the Novice plan, but up the cardio. Too late now though. I'm in it for the 7 days even if I kill myself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment