Monday, June 30, 2014

Beachbody Les Mills Combat Day 15


What I did and why

Today was Day 15 of Les Mills Combat. It was my first new workout in a week! It was also the first 60 minute workout in the program. It was nice to have something new to look forward to. I wasn't looking forward to the stress of waking up on time and finding motivation immediately though! I like to wake up and chill on the couch for a few minutes before I start sweating. I didn't have that opportunity this morning. I also didn't even wake up on time. I was really hoping that their 60 minutes wasn't really 60 minutes. I got my wish too because it was just under 54 minutes, which meant I got to work only 2 minutes late!

Extreme Cardio Fighter

This is a "60" minute workout. It's the studio version. There is also a Live 60 minute workout. I don't do that one until week 6. That will be my last new workout since I didn't get the mega kit that has the extra DVDs.

Okay so this thing starts off with a warm up that's just over 3 minutes long. We started out shuffling back and forth and doing uppercuts on either end. Then we wen to standing there doing jabs. Then we did Cross punches. Then we did hooks while shuffling front and back. More shuffling and uppercuts. Back to jabs on the other side. Cross punches on the other side. Karate chops which I was not good at. More hooks and shuffling back and forth with some scissor legs. I'm not a fan of scissor legs, but I'll have to get over that.

Four minutes on the legs. It started with some stretching and then we went right into alternating knee strikes with some steps in the middle of them. Then we put our legs like we were going to do side kicks, but we didn't kick. Then we kicked and alternated them. Shuffling side to side while doing side kicks didn't go so well for me cuz I kept kicking my fan. Front kicks. I love front kicks. Roundhouse kicks! However, we first just pulled the leg up like were going to do them, but didn't do them. That part is always hard for me. Back kicks! I love back kicks too. More alternating knee strikes with steps in the middle. Oh Hip Rolls are fun! More knee strikes. They really like the knee strikes in these workouts. 

Just under 5 minutes in te next round and we started with knee strikes! Then we did knee strikes with front kicks. Then we added 3 jabs. We're getting into dangerous territory where we put too many moves together. We did some hooks and then hooks with a rip jab rip. Then we added a roundhouse kick to that. More complex stuff for my brain. I still don't know what a rip is. It's a punch to the gut I know that much. Then we shuffled around and kicked at an angle. There was some blocking during that too. We switched side and did it all again. 

The next segment was just under five minutes. We started out with weaving. I love weaving! Uppercuts with scissor legs. Woot Woot! Then we shuffled and turned into the corner. We added a fake with the shoulder and then added a jab. I do like they build on stuff instead of making me remember 10 moves, but it's still hard for me. I"ll get better like with Combat 30. We skipped rope! Fake rope though. Then we did high knees! We switched sides and did it all over again. It's annoying that the modification person is off on the edge and you don't always see her, but the people who aren't modifying probably want to see someone who isn't modifying, so I'll get over that little peeve. 

The next segment was just under 5 minutes. We started off with alternating side kicks. I love kicking! Side kicks make my hips hurt a little though. Uppercuts and jabs. Then we added a knee strike and a front kick which turned into a jump kick. I actually did the jump kicks. They weren't pretty, but there was some lift. We jump kicked forward and jabbed back. I love how they talk to us about doing these moves because as you retreat, you want to fend off another attack. I'm doing this to lose weight, not to win in a street brawl. Then we did some push kicks with some punching. Then we switched sides and did it all over again. We ended with some running in place and then a big jump kick.

The next segment was just under four minutes and all the girls were up front. We started with jabs and then upper cuts and then combined them. There were a lot of high knees in this. We switched sides and did more jambs and upper cuts. Then we did a speedbag on each side. More punching! We started with hooks. More high knees! More speed bag! All the bouncing around made my calves sore. More hooks! More high knees. Then the girls were done and all the boys went to the front row. 

The boys had 6 minutes of kicks. We started with side kicks without letting our leg down! Then we added a step and the foot got to hit the floor. Then front kicks and back kicks. This is one of my favorite combos. Then we did side kicks with steps again. We alternated between front kick/back kick with side kicks. This segment seemed to last forever. We switched sides and did it all again

The next section was just over 6 minutes. We started with scissor legs. Then we did stiff jabs. Then we added an ascending elbow. Then we added four knee strikes. Then we did two knee strikes with a front kick. Back to stiff jabs. More with the elbow and then with the knees and front kicks. Street fight! We shuffled and did the downward punch thing. Back to the jab elbow knee thing. Then we switched sides and did it all over again. This was about when I realized that I was pretty close to being done! Watching this in fast forward to write all of this is fun.

Okay so 6 and a half minutes for the next segment. It's the last stand up cardio section. IT starts with jabs and cross punches. Then we added some upper cuts and cross jacks. So if this is the last stand up segment, what's next? This goes through my mind for the entire segment. We did a lot of running in place and the upper cut and cross jack thing. We switched sides and did it all again while I'm still thinking, It's the last stand up cardio section, but that will leave like 8 minutes to the workout, and I know the cool down is less than 8 minutes, so what could be next? They are going to make me plank I know it! I hate planking. Even if you call it hovering, it doesn't make it any less difficult. Please don't make me plank! We end this section doing single jabs. I love single jabs. it really works the core. Okay, you distracted me from thinking about what's next. 

Now it's time for what's next! Just over 4-1/2 minutes of....................PUSH UPs and CRUNCHES!!!!!! I was kind of hoping to avoid that in this workout. It's a Combat workout. Why are we doing push ups and crunches. Could we not have covered this in either of the HIIT workouts? Can I not have my combat workouts be just about combat? Oh poo on you! Oh wow! I thought doing these push ups on my knees was the modication, but the modification person is not only on her knees, but she's really putting her weight on her legs. She's pretty much "on all fours" instead of doing push ups on her knees! I feel better about my pushups today! 

Cooldown was a little under 3 minutes. It was their normal stuff on the floor first and then standing up to do the shoulders and quads. The IT Band stretch is still something that I just can't do. Crossing my legs just doesn't seem possible yet. There was also a bit of kata.

Overall thoughts on the workout

I would have preferred it to be more combat. There were a ton of scissor kicks, cross jacks, high knees, running in place and jumping rope. I could have lived without the pushups and the crunches. They just belong in a different workout. I felt like an idiot during this one because there were so many combo moves and my brain just can't process that stuff. I'll get better. The book says to do this workout one more time this week and then again next week and twice each of the following two weeks. By the time I'm done with my 60 days, I'll be a pro at this workout. 

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia Screen shots for the workout. I was happy to get 23 minutes of vigorous activity, although I thought there would be more. Maybe once I've done the DVD a few times, I'll be able to put more oomph into it. I like the workouts, but I'm feeling a bit bummed by my calorie counts on these. I burn more doing Leslie Sansone walking workouts. I think these do more muscle training though. I know that I need more muscle to burn more calories, so the time that I put into building muscle will pay off later, but seeing low calorie burns really bum me out. Not that this is low, but when I compare it to a workout of a similar length with Leslie Sansone, it seems low. Back in May I did Walk Slim 4 Fast Miles which was 51 minutes and it burned 660 calories. You would think that doing a combat workout would burn more than a walking workout! 


No comments:

Post a Comment