Friday, July 25, 2014

Review of Beachbody Les Mills Combat Day 40


What I did and why

Today was Day 40 of Les Mills Combat. Somehow I missed that coming! I thought yesterday was Day 37, but it was Day 39! Yesterday was a rest day, so we'll blame lack of endorphines for my bonehead moment. Okay, so today was Combat 60 Live Ultimate Warriors Workout. This was my first time doing this workout. I have been looking forward to this workout for awhile now. It was the last one for me to try during the 60 day program. I have Combat 30 Live, but it's not part of the program. I'm planning on doing it on Day 61 though as a bonus and so I don't end my Les Mills Combat by doing Shock Plyo. Okay, other than the realization that today was Day 40, I also had another realization today. This workout takes the place of Combat 60 Extreme Cardio Fighter in the mix. I thought I would have two "60 Minute" workouts going, but nope. I'm done with Extreme Cardio Fighter. 

Combat 60 Live Ultimate Warriors Workout

Since this was my first time doing this workout, I'll give you the play by play. The workout isn't really 60 minutes. The timer starts at 53 minutes, but they talk before starting the workout. The timer is going down, but they are yapping away and doing introductions. This workout was filmed live in England. There are a ton of people in the "audience" doing the workout. I thought that they would actually show the people in the audience doing the workout, but they don't do that much. They do a few wide shots where you can see the people in the front few rows, but they don't show close ups of anyone specific. This workout is still led by Rach and Dan, but the rest of the crew isn't the same. Oscar is there and so is Cristine, but no Regan, Lissa or Nuria. It was nice to see new people and to hear Cristine and Oscar speak, but it was weird not having Lissa and Regan.

Okay, at the 52 minute mark, they shut up and start working out. The first segment is about 3 minutes and 45 seconds of actual working out. You start off doing a pulse and then you jab 16 times with the right hand. Then we go to upper cuts right left right followed by a pulse. Then we add two jabs to the end of that. It felt pretty slow but it was a warm up. Then we did two right hooks and then scissor legs. I discovered the reason that I couldn't keep up with these types of things. I was doing a pause between the last move in the scissor and the first punch. They don't pause. All of my pauses left me behind them. Lessons learned. Then we did some low blocks and rising blocks with a pulse. They didn't stay on any move for long. We added a decoy to this so basically that meant we switched stance and switched back again. I kept up with this for as long as I could, but it was still the warm up, so the decoy was a bit much for me. After that we switched and did it all over again. I was surprised that I did the decoy. I didn't even think about it. I just did it. That says something about this program! 

The next section was just under 5 minutes. We started with alternating knee strikes with a step step in the middle. Then we went into the corners pretty quickly. Then we alternated "the shoot" I can't describe it, but you're supposed to be grabbing the opponents legs and pulling them out from under them. Then we did some leg stretching. Then we moved into alternating hip rolls. Front kicks on one leg with pulses in the middle. Then we did the back kick repeater. Then we did the roundhouse set up. I'm not a fan of the roundhouse set up. I'd rather just let my leg fly! Which we did soon enough. Then we switched stance and did it all again. Then we did alternating side kicks with pulsing in the middle. Then we shuffled and did two knees. Then we did one knee and one kick while shuffling back and forth. 

The next section was 3 minutes and 35 seconds. Cristine helped lad. It started off with low blocks. Then we did double jab cross with pulsing in the middle. Then we alternated hooks. Then we did the double jab cross hooks and added a roundhouse kick. Back to low blocking. Then left leg forward to do it all again. Shuffling with side kicks! More pulsing! Then we did the whole combo again on each side. 

The next segment was just over five minutes. Oscar helped lead. We started out with Jabs. First we did them slow and then we did them fast. Then uppercuts! First singles and then doubles. Then we added scissors! YAY! Love scissors! NOT! I'm working on getting better with them though. Then we alternated Hooks. First it was singles and then it was doubles. We did more scissor kicks! Good thing I want to practice those! Then we ran in place! We did the jabs followed by the upper cuts again. More double upper cuts with scissor legs. The screen said hooks, but they did uppercuts. Then we did the alternating hooks. Double hooks with scissor legs again. More running! Double jabs alternating right side left side. Then we did single jabs alternating super fast. It's interesting watching this while not doing it. I can really see how much this works their abs.

The next section was 5-1/2 minutes. We started out with a front kick and three lunges. I totally loved this section. Oh wait.......Not so much! I felt off balance for the bulk of it. I didn't keep up with them either. Then we did double lunges and lunges over to the side. I can't explain this section really. We did two lunges and a kick and then did the side lunge thing again. If I can't explain it while watching it, you can imagine how hard this was for me to do. Okay so then we bent one leg and pulled the knee forward on the other leg. Then we did two knees with a kick back. This section was brutal! My plant leg HURT! My moving leg HURT! It was just HARD! It was never ending too. We then switched sides and did it again! We got a lesson in where this type of stuff came from. Dan seemed to lead this one a lot more than Rach. 

The next section was just over 4 minutes. It started with a double jab on one arm and an uppercut next. Then we did scissor legs! Yay! More practice. Then we did jumping jabs. These were in another DVD, but I never did them right. For some reason today, it just clicked and I did them. Wierd I know! Then we did a jab, cross, hook in slow motion. Then we did it faster. Then we switched sides and did it on the other side. The guys were sweating up a storm in this workout. You could see the sweat spraying off of them under the lights! 

The next section was just over 5 minutes. We started with the jab cross jab cross. Then we added two right upper cuts. Then we added bob kick bob kick. Then we did low block and rising block with the decoy again. I was pretty beat by this time so didn't do the decoys long. Then we did the first combo again. More pulsing! Then we did the same thing on the other side. 

The next section was 5 and a half minutes. It started with descending elbows. I like them! Then we did triple right elbows with a double left knee. Then we did the downward punches that I like so much. Then knee strikes! Then we did a plyo push. We kinda lunged forward and pushed our arms out like we were pushing someone's chest. Then we did the push with a front kick. More knee strikes 16 on each side. They bounced during them, but I don't bounce! Then we did some pulsing. We switched sides and did it all again. I liked this section. I'm not really sure why, but I really love to go all street! More pulsing! More downward punching! I love these. That's not sarcasm either. More alternating knee strikes! Then we did running man. I wasn't a fan of the running man. I need to work on that one. 

The next section was 5-1/2 minutes again. It was the last stand up track. We started with should stretches. Then we did a double jab with a hook. We started slow and then went faster. I really like the hooks! Then we did jab cross for 8. Back to the double jab with hook. We alternated between those. Then we did four upper cuts and pulsed. Then we did straight upper cuts without pulsing. This was pretty brutal. Then we switched sides and did it all again. The segment ended with 55 seconds left.

The last track is on the floor! It lasts about 2 minutes and 45 seconds. We started out with slow push ups. We couldn't possibly do a 60 minute workout with push ups eh. UGH! It was rest day yesterday, so it was no big deal, but I just wanted a nice long workout that was all combat. Then we did an isolation lock. We tapped our right hand to our left shoulder. We weren't supposed to move anything other than the arm. It was HARD! I did okay with it. Then we went onto our backs for crunches because once again, we can't get through a 60 minute workout without crunches! They talked about how to make it easier or harder. Then we stuck our legs in the air and did criss crosses with them. She talked about how to make that harder as well. These seemed easy so I must have been doing them wrong. 

The cool down was 5-1/2 minutes. It seemed a bit excessive. It started with some leg stretches on the floor, but then we got up and did kata. It was pretty slow, but it was the cool down and stretch so it's supposed to be, but the workout is supposed to be 60 minutes. It was 53 minutes with 1 minute of talking at the beginning and 5-1/2 minutes of a cool down. I still got 30 minutes of vigorous activity, but I don't think I'll be able to get more than my 40 minute record from Combat 60 Extreme Cardio Fighter.

I was pretty beat after this workout. Even having rest day yesterday didn't stop me from wanting to die after it was over! I was having doubts if I would be able to pick my arms up over my head to wash my hair!

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia screen shots. This workout was pretty much all over the place. I think that big dip is from the lunge kick section because I had to stop so many times! I could be wrong though. It could be something different. The first time I did Extreme Cardio Fighter, I burned 652 calories, had 45 minutes of activity and 21 minutes of vigorous activity. Maybe I can get up to 40 minutes of vigorous on this! I'm going to do my best to find out! I'll be doing this workout several times in my last 20 days! 


Does this sound like something you want to do?

Watch the video to learn more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment