Friday, August 15, 2014

Review of Beachbody Les Mills Combat Combat 30 Live


What I did and why

Today should have been a rest day! My body screamed for a rest day. I woke up 45 minutes late, but I said that I was going to do Les Mills Combat 30 Live which was the free workout since I bought my DVDs through a coach. I risked being late to work so I could do it. I really wanted to do it since I said I would and because I didn't want my Combat round to end on Shock Plyo. I'm glad I did it too since I did like the workout. I wish I had done it sooner. It would have been nice to use this instead of the studio version at times.

Combat 30 Live

WARNING! This workout is actually 33 minutes and has no cool down included in it. I wanted to make sure you all knew that before doing it. I think it's great that it's a longer workout, but I woke up 45 minutes late and was hoping to make it to work on time since I was going to be leaving early. I barely made it. I had to skip the hard boiled eggs for breakfast and the salad for lunch though to shave some time off getting ready. I went with a Jimmy Dean Delite breakfast sandwich and leftover shepherd's pie. It's not real shepherd's pie though. It didn't have gravy. 

Okay so the workout....It starts with an introduction of everyone. All of the people are the same as the 60 minute live workout. The first section was 3-1/2 minutes. We did jabs with our right hand 16 times. Then we alternated uppercuts right left right and a pulse. Then we added two jabs to the upper cuts and got rid of the pulsing. Then we did a double right hook and scissor legs! The song for this workout is a song from a different workout which kind of sucked. I like new music for new workouts. Then we did the low block and rising block. We added the decoy to it too. I wasn't thrilled with adding this part to it since it's in the 60 minute Live version twice. I like new stuff in new workouts! Then we switched sides and did it all over again. 

The next segment was about 4-1/2 minutes. It started off with a leg stretch. Then the kicking began! We started with alternating knee strikes. Then we did alternating triple knee strikes. Then we did the side kick set up. I'm not sure why we have to do these set ups, but whatever. After the set up stuff, we did actual side kicks. That was followed by shuffling left and right and doing side kicks. Then it was alternating front kicks. Then alternating push kicks. I actually did the push kicks this time. They really do work the abs! Next was alternating roundhouse set ups. Then of course we did the roundhouse kicks. Then we shuffled with the roundhouse. Then back kicks! Back to alternating knee strikes followed by alternating hip rolls.  The section ended with alternating triple knee strikes again. This whole section seemed a bit slow, but it was still the warm up really. 

The next section was 6-3/4 minutes. We started out with the claw which I didn't really get. Then we jabbed to the corner. Then we did a cross with a pulse. We went back to the jab with the pulse and then back to the cross and pulse. We turned to face the front and did a jab cross jab. Then we added an uppercut to it. Then we added a roundhouse kick. There was a bunch of pulsing between reps which really made it feel slow. We switched sides and did it all over again. We did some bouncing around again. Then we did a claw kata. I didn't really get the whole claw thing! Then we did front kicks into the corner with pulses in the middle. Then we added a hammer fit. So one hand went out in front and the other slammed down into it. We did the claw kata thing again and then kicked into the other corner of the room. We then added the hammer fists. We went back to the first side and did the corner kicks with the hammer thing without the hand to punch it into. Then we switched sides again.

The next round was about 6 minutes. We started with jabs and then jab cross. We combined the jab cross with four jabs. Then we did a hook on one arm with an uppercut with the other. Oh then we did hook upper hook and did crossjacks with it! I'm not a fan of cross jacks. I kept up for the most part. Then we did upper cuts 7 times and scissor kicks! Then we pulsed and ran in place. We switched sides and did it all again. Then we did a 8 jabs and 8 uppercuts. We alternated between those. We finished by doing 15 seconds of just uppercuts. 


The next section was 6-1/2 minutes. It started off with the same Kata that is in Combat 45 (I think it's that one) and it even had the same song. Then we did back kicks. Then we did a back kick, two knee strikes on the opposite leg and a front kick. Then we did a knee strike with the back leg and a front kick with the front leg. Then we did a step kick which led into the jump kick. I've missed the jump kick! It's in Combat 30, but not the rest. Well not this jump kick at least. We went back to the back kick double knee strike front kick. Then we switched sides and did it all again. We did 117 kicks on one side and then the other. That's the same concept as Combat 30 the studio version. 

The last section was just over 5 minutes. We started with alternating jabs. I love these! It was always my favorite part of TaeBo. Then we did alternating uppercuts. Then we did double uppercuts. Of course when you add double uppercuts you know you have to do scissor legs too. Then we did alternating hooks. Then we did double hooks which of course led to adding in scissor legs! They really like scissor legs! Then we did some running in place. Then we did it all over again. The last minute started with double jabs alternating each arm. Then we did singles! I really do like this part. Then the workout ended. They talked a little bit and did some shoulder stretches, but they mainly just said to get the stretch DVD and do some stretching. I don't have the stretch DVD because it comes with the upgraded package that I didn't get. 

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia screen shots. Since this was my first time doing this workout, I don't have anything to compare it to. I did like this workout. I think it would be a nice to alternate this one with the studio version. I'm not sure why they didn't include that as an option on the calendar. PiYo includes the free one on the calendar. You get the free workouts by ordering from a coach.


Polar FT7 Heart Rate monitor

Here is a picture of my heart rate monitor after the workout. The calorie burn is so much less than with the BodyMedia Fit. Crazy crazy crazy. My husband did point out though that if BodyMedia has a 10% margin of error and the Polar has a 10% margin of error that will account for a possible 20% difference. So let's say that BodyMedia is high. So 10% of 467 is about 46. Let's say the Polar is 10% low. So 10% of 259 is about 25 and 46 + 25 = 71. There's still a 130ish calories difference! I just wish I knew what was more accurate! I tend to think that the BodyMedia device is since I lost the amount of weight I should have lost based on my calories in versus my calories out during my 7 Day Commitment to Food Logging. So, what does that mean for my heart rate monitor? Do I keep it? Do I return it? Oh decisions decisions! I want to find a purpose for it in my life, but it can't just be to show me some pretty chart or graph. It needs something more. I'll have to think about this and do more research.


Want to Learn More About Les Mills Combat?


No comments:

Post a Comment