Friday, November 14, 2014

Review of Daily Burn Day 20: Yoga Surya B Warrior 1

Day 20: Yoga Surya B Warrior 1

Day 20 was on Thursday. On Wednesday, I took a rest day. It was a real rest day with no working out! I set my alarm for 5:00 AM and I slept in. I didn't work out in the morning and I didn't work out in the evening. I did manage to get an hour and a half of moderate activity and 7720 steps walking around at work. It felt great to not workout! I was still feeling sore in my shoulders and my left calf, but that's not why I didn't workout. I just wanted a rest day so I took one and I'm totally okay with it! I'm not really making the most of my Daily Burn 60 day trial. I think I missed 10 days in the first 30 days, but part of that was because it was just too difficult to do PiYo with Daily Burn too. I do feel bad about wasting 1/3 of my first 30 days! I will be better for the next 30! 

Okay, the workout. I was still sore from Saturday's DBK5 workout and Sunday's walk/jog intervals while watching The Biggest Loser, so I wanted to do something that would be challenging without being too painful. I thought Yoga sounded like a good plan. I really want to finish all of these Yoga workouts before the end of my free trial. Well, with the exception of the inversion clinic. I'm not going to be doing handstands anytime soon. I probably couldn't do one against a wall even if my husband picked up my legs. 

Normally, I try to do a play by play of the workouts, but this one doesn't have a fast forward option, and I don't have the time to rewatch the entire thing, so I'll give you a basic rundown from what I can remember. We started off laying down in what I know as Corpse pose or something close to it. I really like this one because we're not doing anything so I can just relax. I don't have to worry about where to put my hands and feet. I can just lay there and breathe. Then we did some stretching. She shows you how to use a yoga strap to stretch out your hamstrings if you can't reach your foot. I certainly need that strap! My hamstrings are getting better, but I'm not quite limber enough to do those without the strap.

This workout was just about 40 minutes. There was probably about 10 minutes of actually doing Warrior 1. Most of it was a lot of stretching stuff at the beginning and end and also the Vinyasa stuff. I think that's what it's called. We did some forwarded folding and then jumped our feet back so we were in plank, then we did the chataranga (I know that's not how you spell it, but I don't care), then up dog and down dog and jump back in to start it all over again. This stuff reminded me of PiYo just slower. Once we got to the Warrior 1 section, she really went slow and made sure that we had the correct posture. There was also a chair pose section. In PiYo we did chair pose, but it was more of just a squat with our feet together. Holding that pose is hard stuff! I still have a very hard time with keeping my torso upright while sticking my butt back for Chair. I need to do some wall sits maybe and get used to the position knowing that I'm not going to fall on my butt. 

After the workout, I felt all stretched out and stuff in my legs. It was great. I really enjoyed it. This is coming from someone who a few years ago was all about pumping iron and thought Yoga was sissy stuff. Yoga is NOT sissy stuff! It's hard! I'm glad that this time around in my weight loss journey, I pulled my head out of my ass and I'm broadening my horizons. I'm doing much better in terms of my all around well being. Pumping iron got me strong, but it didn't help me endurance and it didn't help my flexibility. My all around approach this time around is helping my endurance and making me more flexible. 

BodyMedia Screen Shot

 I'm actually surprised that I got a minute of total activity on this one. I'm not really sure what I did to get there. Maybe it was while we were in Chair pose. The Daily Burn people put up a calorie burn for this workout which is crazy high compared to my BodyMedia. I think BodyMedia is more accurate. I have a hard time believing that Yoga can burn the same amount of calories as something like Les Mills Combat where everything is going fast and all of the body parts are moving. I love doing these yoga workouts, but they just don't seem like big calorie burners.


1 comment:

  1. Good going. I will consider myself a lot healthier if I am able to do a workout of even 20 mins. I get tired too soon too quickly. One of my friends told me to join local Philadelphia Yoga class so I can build stamina.

    ReplyDelete