Thursday, March 20, 2014

Island Girl Dance Fitness Workout for Beginners Tahitian Cardio


My abs were pretty sore from my workout yesterday, so doing the Island Girl Tahitian Cardio workout probably wasn't the best idea since there's a lot of ab work with flipping your hips around like a strumpet. It was due back at the library so I did it anyway. I honestly didn't think I woul get far enough into the workout for it to matter. I have no sense of rhythm, and I can't follow dance choreography. I got this DVD in a moment of weakness because I thought my husband would get a kick out of me doing this. 

The workout itself was about 31 minutes, but the intro to get to the workout was painfully long. When you put the DVD in, you get bombarded with all of the other workout videos from the same publisher. After what seemed like forever, the menu screen came up. I was given the option to play the whole thing or to select what I wanted to play. I ran the whole thing which just brought up another long introduction. The instruction talked about Tahitian dance and introduced what was going to happen. Once that is over, you watch the dance that you're about to learn. I ended up resetting my BodyMedia device since the intro was so long. 

This workout moved very slowly. That was helpful for me because I have such a hard time with this type of workout, but this wasn't much of a workout. My BodyMedia device did say that I had 14 minutes of moderate activity, but I really never felt out of breath and hardly broke a sweat. 

You learn five Tahitian dance moves and then string it all together into a dance at the end. You learn one move slowly at first and then you pick up the speed as you add in your arms and move with it. So for example, for the first move, you tilt your pelvis forward, and then move your hips to the right, then you stick your butt out, and then move your hips to the left. After you've gone through that several times, you pick up the pace and do it it one smooth motion instead of accentuating each part of it. I could handle this step right up until we started walking forward while doing it. I did the best I could, but it wasn't very pretty. 

After the first move, things didn't go so well for me. The next one was confusing to me, and I don't think I ever did it right. There was some sort of figure eight with your hips. I was able to do the thing where you really push one hip up and then the other. This is so hard to describe when I really didn't even grasp what I was doing. 

Bottom line, it was doable, but it was not a big cardio burn. There were some squats and lunges in the workout, but they were pretty much baby squats and lunges compared to the workout that I did yesterday with Leslie Sansone. If you're looking for a fun DVD to learn something new, this might be cool. This might be good for someone who is already fit to fiddle with on a day that they don't feel like working out, but wants to do something. However, this was not something I would suggest doing to try to lose weight. You just won't burn enough calories. Although, if you could master the dance and do it at full speed, you might get a decent ab workout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment