Thursday, May 15, 2014

Leslie Sansone Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan Review Purple Mile


What I picked and why

Keeping with the theme of the week, I picked Leslie Sansone's Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan. I did the purple mile today. The last time I had this from the library, I did the 5 day walk plan as laid out by the DVD, but this DVD has so much versatility, so I got it again and I'm doing each mile by itself to see which miles have the highest burn. I have other plans for this DVD that might require me to check it out a third time, but we'll see how far I get with it this time. It's a popular DVD, so I can only have it for 7 days at a time. Yesterday, I did the Yellow Mile, and the day before that, I did the Green Mile. Tomorrow is the dreaded Blue Mile with jumping jacks!  Ugh.

The Workout

The workout starts with a warm up. It lasts about five minutes and covers the four basic steps. She gets your arms into a little bit as well. She repeats a couple of the steps since it didn't take long enough to do them the first time.

This mile started off with side steps. She then went into kicks. The first round of kicks seemed to take a long time, but my legs are still sore from my The Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout for Maximum Burn on Monday. That thing was killer! Okay, back to Leslie.....With the kicking, we also stretched out the opposite hand. I don't remember the order of the rest of this, but it did involve grapevines, but not nearly as many as the Green Mile did. This mile also had the mambo combo. I love the mambo combo, but it's not a real big calorie burn or anything. It's just fun to do. Your left leg pretty much stays in place during this sequence. You step forward with the right, step in place with the left, step back with the right, step in place with the left, step out to the right with the right, step in place with the left, step back with the right, step in place with the left, then start over again. I think I said it right. After you do that for a bit, you switch legs and the right leg stays in place while the left moves around. This mile also had kick back, knee lifts, double knee lifts and tap outs. The tap outs turned into that thing where she turns and it's a bit of a lunge. I hate those, but I'm getting better at them. She ends up punching while doing those as well. The other fun and exciting (translation, I hated it) move is the boxer bounce thing. You kind of bounce around on the balls of your feet and shift your weight from one leg to the other. She does this for a bit and then has you turn to the side so you can jab while doing it. Then back to center. Then you do the other side with the punching. I'm not a fan of the boxer bounce thing, but it's getting less obnoxious. My calves are always pretty dang sore after doing it though. Not so much that they are sore the next day, but while I'm doing it they get a bit sore and I'm so ready for it to be over. That was the gist of the workout.

The cool down is pretty standard. It lasts about five minutes. You go through all of the basic steps in the cool down, but you just do them slower and smaller. There is also walking forward for two counts and back for two counts. After your heart rate has come down you get to stretch. Overall, this was an interesting mile.

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Below are the BodyMedia Link screen shots for the workout. I was surprised that I got 5 minutes of vigorous activity. It didn't feel very vigorous. This mile is growing on me. I love the mambo combo even though it's pretty low on the intensity scale. the workout arc looks like a cat to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment