Friday, August 8, 2014

My Mission to Accept Yogurt into My Life Part 4 - Four Ingredient Blueberry Frozen Yogurt


Four Ingredient Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

If you've been following along, you'll know that I'm slightly obsessed with finding ways to eat yogurt. I want to like yogurt. Everyone on the planet says it's good for you. Well, maybe the paleo people don't think so. I don't think it's part of their thing, but everyone else. Hm, vegans might not think so either, but I think you can make non-dairy yogurt, so maybe they like it too. Anyway....yogurt = good. I can't stand the taste of yogurt and don't think buying the stuff that's all sugary and full of chemicals is good for me, so I'll pass on that crap. My mission is to take plain non-fat Greek yogurt and turn it into something edible. My first three attempts were all variations of Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt. The last batch was good even without the added sweetener, but I wanted something different. So I went to Google!

I found a site called Healthy Nibbles & Bites. There was a post with Four Ingredient Blueberry Frozen Yogurt. I have no idea why I thought this would be a good idea. I don't like blueberries and I don't like yogurt. Let's put them together and see what happens! 

I got the ingredients the weekend before last, but I didn't have time to deal with it that weekend or even this past weekend. On Monday, I ate up the last of my Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Drops. Which resulted in me having to make frozen yogurt on Tuesday. I try to avoid too much effort on work nights since I have editing to do and the blog, but I needed a dessert so I made it. 

I tossed my ingredients into my food processor and pulsed away. I didn't take pictures because I was racing the clock on this. I didn't want it to melt too much. The picture showed sort of a light purple, but mine was deep deep deep purple. It also didn't look like frozen yogurt. I used a spatula to scrape the stuff down and I tried some more pulsing. The consistency just didn't seem right so I threw in some more yogurt and tried again. I had to put a bit more in again before it looked like yogurt. It made far more than I anticipated. It also had a rather strong yogurt flavor in my opinion. I ate a small bowlful though because I had made it and I wasn't going to waste it. 

The rest of it went into a zipper bag with a star tip for cake decorating. I thought I would attempt to do the same creation as the peanut butter drops. I thought I could make cute little starts. I was so wrong about piping this stuff out. It was sooooooooooo cold! My hands were warm and they started to melt the stuff in the bag. I was getting some decent looking drops, but then I would get blobs of mush. I gave up caring what they looked like and just piped as fast as I could. It wasn't pretty. I tossed them into the freezer for a few hours and then peeled them off the wax paper. I didn't have high hopes for them, but they seemed edible. 

The next day I ate a Dixie cup full of them. Okay, no need to lie. I ate two Dixie cups full! They were just soooooooo yummy. I started craving these things! The sweetness from the blueberries is crazy good. Who would have thought that you could take two things that I don't like and turn them into something this yummy! With the Peanut Butter drops, I had to chew them and swallow them kinda fast otherwise the yogurt flavor would take over. With these, I put them on my tongue and just let them melt away. Keep in mind though.....the ratio of peanut butter to yogurt versus the blueberry to yogurt is pretty much flipped over. There wasn't much yogurt in my blueberry frozen yogurt. I bought 8 pounds of blueberries today so I can freeze them and make more of this stuff! I plan on doing a batch tomorrow to serve after dinner. The three of us should be able to polish off one recipe of this. I'll make another batch for drops, but I won't bother with the piping thing next time. I read another post once where they just spooned it onto the cookie sheet. I think I'll just do that. It doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to be edible. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment