Sunday, March 27, 2016

My 28 Day Experience with Beachbody 10 Minute Trainer



What it is and why I did it...

10 minute Trainer is 28 day workout program made up of 10 minute workouts. You have the option of doing one a day or stacking three of them together to make up a 30 minute workout. Tony Horton is the trainer on this one. He's the same guy who did all of the P90x programs, but this one is more of a beginner/intermediate program. Each of the 10 minute segments focuses on a certain area such as Upper Body, Lower Body, and Cardio. I did this program because I wanted a short program, and this was the shortest one that I hadn't done yet. I did this one on On Demand

The Workouts

Each workout is supposed to be 10 minutes long, but they're actually a little longer than that because you have to watch the intro thing and then he talks a little bit before getting into the workout. Plus, each move lasts for a full minute and there is a few seconds of "set up" or instructional time between moves. Give yourself 15 minutes just to be safe. Even more if it's the upgraded workouts. 

Cardio

This workout was in the 30 day Advanced Calendar a lot! It's a good workout and of the cardio workouts, it is my favorite. You use a belt attached to a resistance band that's attached to a door. The moves are mostly sports related with things called Off the Line and Defensive Slide. There are also normal "workout" moves like running in place and skaters. This was in the program a lot, but I didn't really get bored with it. There were no moves that I absolutely hated or dreaded doing. You can read a play by play of this workout on my post from Day 1 of 10 Minute Trainer

Core Cardio

This one was also on the Advanced Calendar a lot! I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I much preferred Cario over Core Cardio. This one had a lot of moves where you faced away from the door and then turned at some point and came back to facing the door. Twisting within the best was a challenge for me because I've got a pretty big midsection and the belt was a bit snug on me. I didn't use the belt that came with the program though since I did the program On Demand and never actually bought the program so I don't know how it would have been had I used the belt that came with the program. I can't imagine it would have been much different. I also wasn't a huge fan of the person doing the workout. She was just pretty blah. The other person was much more upbeat and happy. There were no moves in this one that I dreaded doing, but there wasn't any excitement to do this workout. I did it and never skipped it though. Everything was pretty doable, but it was more normal exercise stuff. Cardio was more sports related so it was more like practicing for a sport than working out. I don't like exercise for the sake of exercise. You can read a play by play of the all the moves on my post from Day 1 of 10 Minute Trainer

Upper Body

I really liked this workout. It was just Tony and the door. He's such a dork, but he does make the time go by fast. This one was all about the Upper Body, hence the name. We did stuff like chest presses, bicep curls and tricep extensions. I really liked this workout, but I have to say that my arms were never sore the next day. I've done Body Beast where we did a whole 30 to 45 minute workout with just the arms or just the chest. Ten minutes to cover all of that just doesn't compare. I'm not saying this is a bad workout though. I really liked it and it was what I needed at that point in my life. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 1 of 10 Minute Trainer

Total Body

This one was another one that I liked. I didn't love it, but I liked it. There wasn't a door attachment with this one, but we did use the bands. It was the same person who was in Core Cardio, but she was less blah in this one. She seemed to have more personality. Maybe they filmed this one second and she had warmed up a bit. I'm not sure. I just know that this one hits all the body parts in only 10 minutes. There were rows, squats, push ups, lunges and more. He has us change up the pace during the moves so we weren't doing the same exact thing for an entire 60 seconds which made the 60 seconds go by pretty quickly. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 2 of 10 Minute Trainer

Abs

I have to say that this was probably one of the more challenging ab workouts I've done and I've done a lot of these 10 minute ab workouts. For some reason, Beachbody programs seem to come with 10 minute ab workouts. This one was done completely on the floor. I hate working my abs. My abs are weak and I'm just not built to be laying on the floor doing abs. I really liked the ab workout in Rockin' Body because we were standing up the entire time! (That post might not sound like I liked it, but I really did.) The moves in this one only lasted 30 seconds each, but they were super hard moves. We had side elbow planks, mountain climbers, some other crazy plank things, and this Dolphin move thing that was just killer. I never was able to get through this entire workout. I didn't stop the workout, but I wasn't able to complete all of the moves. I bailed with a few seconds to go on some of them. I went really slow on some of them. I dreaded pretty much this entire workout whenever it came up on the calendar. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 3 of 10 Minute Trainer.

Lower Body

I kind of liked this one. I actually looked forward to it on the calendar. The weird part about that is that this one has In and Outs in it. I hate In and Outs, but for some reason, I would always forget that they were there until they were happening. It wasn't crazy hard in and outs like in Body Beast Cardio where you did them for a full minute though. We changed the pace about every 15 seconds so it wasn't too bad. I also didn't squat down as deeply as I was supposed to, but I had to modify to get through it. There were various lunges and squats in this one. The Jockey Squats were fun and hard at the same time. I barely made it through the full minute of those! If I wasn't focused on how dorky I looked, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it through. I liked this workout partly because it had the more fun of the two people in it. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 4 of 10 Minute Trainer


Yoga Flex

I love love love yoga! It was nice to do Yoga with 10 Minute Trainer. I looked forward to Yoga days! We did 10 moves. Most of them were pretty easy and I didn't have to modify much. I learned a few things too about my form. I always felt great after doing Yoga. It was nice that we didn't do things like Royal Dancer or anything else that really involved balance. This was a totally doable yoga workout. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 4 of 10 Minute Trainer.

Total Body 2

All of the previous workouts were done for the first time in the first five days of the program and then I had to wait until Day 11 for a new workout. That workout was Total Body 2. I really liked this one. It was just Tony and the door again. There were no moves that I hated or dreaded. I actually looked forward to this one on the calendar. However, it never made me sore the next day. It's hard to really hit all the body parts in 10 minutes and hit the hard enough that you feel it the next day. That's the one downside to this program. I loved the program though and if I had been a beginner, I'm sure I would have been feeling these workouts. We did stuff like tricep extensions, bicep curls and chest presses in this one. We did other stuff too. You can read a play by play of all the moves on my post from Day 11 of 10 Minute Trainer.

The Upgraded Workouts

All Beachbody programs (or at least all that I have seen) have the option to get extra workouts. With 10 Minute Trainer, those were called One on One with Tony Horton. There were more of them in this program than others. You usually only get like two or three extras, but with 10 Minute Trainer, you get six extra workouts! They aren't on the calendar though so I didn't really know where to put them. I went through a lot of options in my mind. I thought about doing the base package for the whole 30 days and then using the same calendar, but swapping out stuff from the upgraded DVDs. For example, if they had Cardio on the calendar, I would do the Cardio workout that came with the upgraded DVDs. The only problem with that scenario was that not all of the workouts had a counterpart. In the end, I decided to stick with the base package for the full 30 days and then do the upgraded workouts the following week. My thought process was that I wanted to see if I could make it through the full 30 days without being utterly bored. It sounds like you get a lot of workouts with this program and you shouldn't get bored, but because each workout is only 10 minutes, you do three of them in a day. It makes the calendar a bit repetitive. I like the program, and I'm glad I did it, but I don't think I'd ever do the full 30 days again. I might do one or two of the workouts on a day where I was short on time or wasn't in the mood to do something else, but it did get a little old doing Core Cardio and Cardio as often as I did. I'm getting sidetracked though.......back to the One on One with Tony Horton workouts!

Plyo Intervals 

I picked this one first because I hate Plyo and I wanted to get it over with fast. For those of you who haven't heard of plyo before, it's short for plyometrics. It basically means anything that involved jumping or propelling yourself up. Stuff like jump squats and push ups where you push yourself up off the floor. My chest is a big reason that I hate plyo. There doesn't seem to be a sports bra strong enough to keep my boobs from bouncing all over the place and it came be very uncomfortable! This workout wasn't as bad as some of the other plyo stuff I've done. It was hard, but it could have been worse. The workout was closer to 15 minutes though which sucks when you don't budget that kind of time. I was planning on doing three of the workouts each day for two days, but I ended up doing two workouts each day for three days because they were too long. There was a lot of jumping in this, but we got to rest too and he mixed things up a bit. You can read a play by play of One on One with Tony Horton Plyo Intervals

Friday Night Arms

I was super excited about this one. I thought since it was all about the arms, that I would fry out my biceps. It didn't happen. The moves were all super challenging for me, but the next day, I just wasn't sore. I was a bit annoyed about that, but I got over it. I still liked the workout. We did a lot of forearm stuff in this one which surprised me. Forearms seem to be forgotten about in most workouts, but this one hit the forearms pretty hard. You can read a play by play of One on One with Tony Horton Friday Night Arms.

Lower Body 

This one was pretty intense, but I was expecting it to be all new moves. We did a lot of these moves in other workouts in the base package which kinda annoyed me. It's a good workout, but I wanted new and exciting! It was fun to do Jockey Squats again since they are just goofy, but it still felt a bit repetitive since so many of the moves were duplicates. I didn't pay for the upgraded DVDs since I did them On Demand, so it's all good though. You can read a play by play of One on One with Tony Horton Lower Body.

Upper Body  

This was another disappointing one because there were so many repeated moves from previous workouts. The shoulder thing in this one was torture, but pretty much everything else was totally doable. You can read a play by play of One of One with Tony Horton Upper Body.

Cardio Intervals

This one was intense! It was also pretty much all repeated moves from previous workouts. I didn't pay for it, so I'm okay with that, but it would have been really annoying if I had paid for it. I'm glad that I didn't decide to do the upgraded DVDs for a full month following a modified calendar of the base program like I had thought about doing. I would have gotten through it because I refuse to give up (well unless I get sick like with Hammer and Chisel.) However, I would have been bored out of my skull! You can read a play by play of One on One with Tony Horton Cardio Intervals.

Chest and Back

I love back day, but not chest day. This one alternated between a chest move and a back move. All of the chest moves were pretty much different versions of push ups. Push ups are pretty much why I hate chest day. Well, that and the fact that my triceps are so weak that I can barely feel anything in my chest since my arms give out before I fry out my chest. I loved the back stuff in this one. Some of the stuff was duplicated from previous workouts but that's okay because I love back day! You can read a play by play of One on One with Tony Horton Chest and Back


Overall Thoughts

I think this program would be amazing for someone just starting out on their fitness journey. You get a lot of cardio and some strength training, but the strength training comes in 10 minute segments, so you won't over work yourself and then end up so sore you give up. I did find it a bit repetitive, but it's only a 30 day program. I think it's a good program to go through once and then keep it in your arsenal for days when you don't have time for something longer or you don't have the desire to do something more challenging, but want to do something. 

I didn't really lose any weight during this program, but it was my rebound program after bailing on Hammer and Chisel when I got sick. I needed to do a relatively short program that was doable for me. I wanted to feel successful instead of feeling like a failure. I accomplished that in this. I improved as the program went on and I got through it. My nutrition was not on point during this program. I went low carb last fall, but then fell off the band wagon when I got sick in December. I ate all kinds of garbage! I was a bad bad girl. I didn't worry too much about nutrition while doing 10 Minute Trainer because I was more focused on getting myself back into working out after taking two or three weeks off. I finished the program back in February, but never got around to finishing up this point about it. I got pretty busy with a big editing project, but that project is done and I plan on blogging more! I'm working on getting caught up on all the posts I wanted to write. 

How to do 10 Minute Trainer for free!

You can do 10 Minute Trainer completely free (other than whatever equipment you need to buy), by trying out Team Beachbody's Club Membership! 10 Minute Trainer is a 28 day program and the free trial of Team Beachbody's Club Membership is 30 days! You get two bonus days to check out the other great programs that are available. With the Club Membership, you get access to a lot of great stuff, but the most amazing part is that you can stream a bunch of different programs including P90x, TurboFire, Rockin' Body and many many more! You also get me as your free coach if you sign up

Want to learn more? Watch the video!

If you want to learn more about the program, check out the video. If you decide you want to buy it, make sure you buy it from a Beachbody Coach so you get the free workout that comes with it. If you don't have a coach, you can get it from me. You can do the program for free if you sign up for the free trial of the Club Membership at Team Beachbody. With the trial, you get 30 days access to all of the workout programs in the Member Library of On Demand. 10 Minute Trainer is one of the programs and since it's a 4 week program, you can complete the program before the trial is complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment