Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Jessica Smith's Thin in 10 Exercise Plan Day 6


What I did and why

Today I slept through my alarm. I think I shut it off in my sleep. I'm not really sure. The other day, I responded to a Facebook post about listening to your body. I said that when I sleep through my alarm, I know that my body wants a rest day and I listen to it. Well, apparently that's only if I don't post on my blog that I'm going to do x, y, z this week. I didn't have a rest day planned for today. I'm in the middle of doing Jessica Smith's Thin in 10 exercise plan and I'm in a Facebook challenge to do activity for 43 days. How could I possibly take a rest day. I couldn't even take a light day! I sucked it up and did Day 6 from the Intermediate section. A decision that I've come to rue. However, I will say that I was expecting to not be able to walk today, but I can walk! I can move! I can sit and stand! My muscles are a little sore sure, but I don't need to use the handicap bar to sit on the toilet! Score one more Non-Scale-Victory courtesy of the blog! You can read about my workouts for Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4 and Day 5 by clicking on the day.

Day 6

The Walk

I did Jessica Smith's 10 Minute Interval Walk on YouTube again. I like the walk well enough, but I'm getting a little tired of it. The walk is easy enough and challenging enough, but I just get bored with the same thing. I wish she had more of these 10 minute ones that were just cardio. She's got two other 10 minute walks, but they have strength training in them. She also has a 12 minute walk, but the book used a 10 minute walk, so I did the only 10 minute walk I could find. I still want to know if she was ever a Cover Girl model. 

Total Body Band times two

I woke up a little sore from yesterday's workout. There were a ton of squats and lunges. I knew that this workout had squats and lunges. I've always been told not to work the same muscles two days in a row. I knew that I should not do this workout, but I did it because I said that I would. I just didn't go crazy on the squats or lunges and I'll be honest, I didn't go for the full minute of each exercise either! 

This workout uses a resistance band. She said that if you don't have one, you can use dumbbells or water bottles. For the first run through, I used my resistance band for everything, but for the second run through, I used my weighted balls for the bulk of it. I switched to my 5 pound dumbbells for the bicep curls and I used the resistance band for the "running" over the band and the final ab move. I don't have a regular resistance band, but I do have the stretchie band from Leslie Sansone's Walk Strong Deluxe set. Jessica used a band that had handles on the ends. It would work better for this workout.

I honestly don't remember the order that any of this went in. This morning is a bit of a blur. We did some lunges while doing a chest scoop. The band was under our front foot while we did rear lunges while alternating scooping our arms forward. There were also squats while doing tricep extensions. There were bicep curls while twisting the upper body and shoulder presses while taking a small step to the side. There was also a move where we laid the band on the ground and stepped over it with both feet and then backward over it as we worked up and down the band. The final move was an ab move. We were on our backs with our legs up like we were going to do bicycles. We did the the leg part of a bicycle while our arms held the band. We then kept our arms wide and twisted up to the bend knee. The band went on the other side of the knee. 

My shoulders were a bit too weak to do some of the moves all the way through. I rested quite a bit more than I should have, but I was just too blasted weak to keep doing them. 

BodyMedia Screen Shots

Here are my BodyMedia Screen Shots. Once again, I was huffing and puffing during the strength training stuff, but I have a super low calorie burn and little activity tracked. I'm researching heart monitors to see if I can get a better grasp on what I'm burning during strength training stuff since the BodyMedia thing just doesn't seem to think I'm doing anything. I'm beginning to realize that I should be in the gym soon pumping iron during my strength training days. These workouts have been great and they were what I needed at the time, but I really love doing weight training at the gym. I've been putting it off for so many reasons, but since I was still finding myself in major pain the day after strength training DVDs, I was able to convince myself that I didn't need to go to the gym. Today, I woke up thinking I wasn't going to be able to walk, but didn't end up having that problem. I still have a few The Biggest Loser DVDs to try and those have a tendency to really make me hurt. I might be able to put off the gym a little bit longer! 




No comments:

Post a Comment