Sunday, March 30, 2014

Receipt Hog


What is it?

Receipt Hog is an app for smart phones that gives you points for scanning you grocery, liquor store and convenience store receipts. Once you get enough points, you can cash in to get Amazon gift cards or PayPal money. 

How do you earn points?

After visiting the grocery store, convenience store, or liquor store, you take pictures of your receipts through the app. The receipts get processed, and you get points. The more you spend on a trip, the more points you get. You can also get points by spinning the slot machine wheel. After you've submitted at least one receipt per week for five weeks, you go into Hog Wild status. Once you're there, you get one slot machine spin for each receipt that you submit. Below is a screen shot of my phone from when I won 400 coins on a spin. If you hit a single stack of coins, you win coins. If you hit two stacks, you win more coins. I haven't hit three stacks yet. There doesn't seem to be a set number per stack though. I will get 5 to 15 coins for hitting 1 stack and I've gotten 10 to 400 for hitting two stacks. You can also get coins by answering short surveys on products that you purchased. I had a survey about some bread that my husband got as an impulse buy and the beer that he got the other day. There was also a general survey about my demographics. You also get coins for referring people. Click here for my referral link. I get 10 coins, but I'm not sure if you get anything.


What's the Point?

After you get to 1000 coins, you can cash out for an Amazon gift card or PayPal. The rewards take less coins as you save up for higher rewards.I haven't cashed out yet because I wanted to save up for the highest reward. I hoard Amazon gift cards for Christmas time. I've gotten some from SwagBucks, mPoints, and even Kiip Rewards. Finding the rewards option on the app can be a bit tricky. At the bottom of the screen, the second box from the right says Rewards. Once you click on that, you'll see the screen below. Once you're there, you'll need to click on the green bar towards the top that says Redeem Prizes. The Rewards Tab is also where the bonus surveys will pop up. Be sure to check there periodically. I don't think you get notifications when they are available. 


Receipts Tab

The second button from the left is the Receipts tab. This is where you go to see the receipts that you've submitted. When you first submit a receipt, it will say Processing instead of a store name. Usually the name will pop up in a few hours, and then in a day or two the receipt gets processed and your points and spins get added. If for some reason, you get a stuck receipt, contact Receipt Hog on Facebook. They are quite responsive and fix things quickly. If you send them a private message with your email address they'll fix it.  


Notifications

In the upper right hand section, you'll see a small white message box. If you have a notification, a number will pop up in the message box. You get them when you get coins and spins added by submitting a receipt, when you win coins on the wheel and if there are problems with your receipt. Click the box to see your Notifications. You can scroll through the list to see older messages.  



Where can I shop?

I've gotten points and pins for shopping at Costco, Walmart, Bi-Mart, Rays Food Place, Safeway, Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, Natural Grocery, Cash & Carry, Dollar Tree and Thriftway. During Christmas, they ran a special promotion where you could earn points for places like GameStop, Staples and Home Depot. I got points there as well, but that was just a special promotion. I hope that they run that again this coming Christmas. The app says that you can earn points at convenience stores, but you have to buy more than just gas. I've only submitted one receipt for a convenience store, but they didn't accept it. It was for a non-chain store that's attached to the Chevron gas station in our tiny little town. I don't go to convenience stores very often, so I haven't tried another one. They also say that you can submit them for liquor stores, but I haven't been to one since I found out that you can use them. You can also get points for pharmacy type stores like Walgreens, Rite-Aid and CVS. You don't have to buy groceries at grocery stores to get the points. If you go to Walmart and buy a TV, you can get points because they sell groceries there. 

My Overall Opinion and a Tip

I like this app. It's simple to use, and I love the slot machine aspect of it. It takes a long time to earn rewards unless you're shopping like crazy. You can't earn much until you get into Hog Wild Status. It takes five weeks to get you there. Once you're in Hog Wild, it does go quicker. I don't shop often enough to earn anything very quickly even in Hog Wild Status. I submit two to three receipts per week. My tip is to save up your spins until you get at least 10. I would say more, but I can't control myself and have to spin at 10. If I spin a couple at a time, I never win, but if I save up until I get 10 spins, I usually get at least a couple hits with one stack of coins. 

Where to get it

You can use my referral link, which will get me 10 coins. I'm not sure if you get a bonus or not.
You can find out more on the Receipt Hog website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment